Labels

Friday, February 11, 2011

My last week of studying and baking

In honor of Today’s Letter posting a link to this blog, I am going to put a new post. Over the past week, I have been studying my butt off for my Finance test. I am not oriented to think that way and it was a challenge. After making a 90 on the practice test, I did less than stellar on the actual test. But I know that I tried my hardest and that is all I could ask for.

One of the best things that came out of studying was it allowed me to spend some time baking. One of my dream jobs is opening my own coffee shop/bakery. I would love to have a place like that I could call my own and spend time every day talking to people and baking tasty treats that everyone will love. To help me start pursuing that dream, I have worked in a coffee shop for the past 3 years during the summer and winter breaks. But now I need to start learning how to bake. Whenever I needed to take a break from studying, I would find an hour or so to whip something up. So here is the first thing I have made and maybe you can try it yourself. (I found both of the recipes online but tweeked them to make them my own. Not big changes but enough. The original recipe was found at allrecipes.com)

CHOCOLATE CHIP SCONES
 
1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flower
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 stick of butter (let it melt for a bit before putting it in)
½ cup of chocolate chips (I used a swirl chocolate chip of white chocolate and semi sweet chocolate)
4 tablespoons water

Directions
            1.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray. 
                                  2.  In a large bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Put the butter in and mix with your hands until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Put the chocolate chips in and continue to mix. Put the water in. It is going to seem that there is not near enough water but this makes the scones taste like scones and not just big cookies. It gives it more of a biscuit texture. 
            3.  Turn out the dough on a floured surface. Pat or roll into a 9 inch circle about 1/2 inch thick. The hardest part is getting the “dough” to look like scones. I just continued to pat it together until it looked like scones and it finally worked. It takes a bunch of patience but it is totally worth it. 
            4.  Bake in preheated oven about 12 minutes. Move to a plate to let them cool.

This is one of my favorite things that I have ever cooked. They are amazing with a good cup of coffee (I recommend Texas Pecan if you can find it) or a big glass of milk.

Later I will post my recipe for Blueberry Banana Muffins. They are absolutely delicious and I hope you can enjoy them too. 

Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment